Why I Live at the PO

The title for this story fits perfectly with the structure of it.  It’s told from a conversational, straight forward standpoint, and we aren’t given a lot of convoluted lines that we have to read into.  The narrator simply tells it like it is, and actually at the beginning of the story I was incredibly confused simply being thrown into the fray.  Even the voice of the character and almost, it seems, the dialect, feels incredibly real and genuine.  The narrator tells the story like we have stopped in at the post office, seen her things, and asked why she is living there.  The title is perfect, almost like the first essays that they make us write in when we are little when we talk about why christmas is our favorite holiday.

One of the things I liked best about this story was its ability to capture a true family dynamic.  We get the feuding sisters, the crazy uncle, the words taken out of context, and the parents coddling the baby of the family.  The narrator felt genuine and incredibly persuasive–I didn’t believe for a minute that the baby was adopted, and I believed that Stella Rondo was left by her husband too.  I find my judgements clouded by the narrators point of view and it wasn’t until I brushed over it again to write this essay that I discovered that I didn’t really have that much to back all of the narrators claims on.  We don’t know much about the past, everything is tainted by the narrators bias.  That, I think, is what makes this so enjoyable and true feeling, even though it is so humorous and absurd.  The narrator feels a hundred precent real, and I think that because we are unable to read more into the story it makes it feel like the situation I imagined above where she tells us the story.  By only being given the one point of view without much information to make our own judgements, we have to believe it, even if we don’t trust it.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.